Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, 16 March 2008

My Nan

Today is my Nan's birthday! Though sadly she passed away in 2001, just before Noah was born. Had she still been alive today she would have been celebrating her 86th!

My Nan is my big inspiration for all my knitting and creating! She made all the soft toys for me and my brother when we were small. This made me realise the big importance of handmade toys which has led to Noah having his own handmade plush collection!

Nan knitted all through her life, right up until her arthritis got so bad that she couldn't manage it any more. She was a big jane Greenhowe fan and would love to knit tiny little details on dolls and strange things! I inherited this, along with...
Being an advertisers dream (falling for every ad I see!)
Big love of super bright colours and being different ( Nan had a rainbow collection of bright cardies and wasn't worried what people thought)
Gardening ( I still have her special tree in my garden that flowers yellow every spring)
And biting my nails! (oops, Nan did it so it's ok!??)

So to celebrate my Nan's birthday I am remembering her by...
Knitting little bunny brooches....
Easter bunnies!
Looking through all her old patterns....
P1012181
Flicking through old photo albums...
Me and Nan
Me and my Nan..Sandbanks beach!
Me and nan
And cuddling up to Norman...
P1012179
My Nan knitted Norman the fox for me! He went on all my brownie and guide camps! He's very fond of the outdoor life :D
P1012180
He was always flat! But made flatter with LOVE!!!
Thinking of you always Nan and all my knitting is for you! Carrying on your knitting and hoping to live up to your creative standard whilst bringing it into the future! Thanks for everything and Happy Birthday!!

9 comments:

Deb said...

Aw, so sweet, and a bit sad. I wish I had an awesome nan! I only had an evil granny :(

debsmuddle said...

This made me cry.

cutedesigns said...

Oh that's such a lovely post Kitty!

Abi B said...

Oh i cried a bit too.
I miss my nan so much and what set me off was seeing that postman pat knitting pattern. As we type that exact soft toy is sitting. in his realised form by my nannys hand. on my bed.

KMCdesigns said...

Such a lovely post kitty :)
My gran has never been much of a knitter, but my mum is :)

60-60 said...

This made me cry as well...
lots of memories...

Siansburys said...

Aww that's so lovely. Happy birthday Knitting Nan :) xxx

GUGAW said...

norman looks very loved. lovely post :)

Heli Chick said...

I too had a great Gran who taught me how to knit before I started school. I really miss her - she died in 2001 as well - I'm so fortunate to have known her and for her to have knitted me my Tigi (that I still have today after going through 3 others!!)

Shona